Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Nashville – Day 1

We arrived in Nashville early in the afternoon and were raring to go. We got our car, checked in at our hotel and headed right downtown to see Broadway. We made our way over to 2nd Ave. and settled on the Wild Horse Saloon for lunch. It was relatively quiet in the restaurant during the afternoon, but you can tell the place gets packed at night. They have a huge stage and were promoting an upcoming show with Rick Springfield. I don’t know anyone that doesn’t like the song “Jessie’s Girl”!

For lunch, we got fried pickles as an appetizer. Geof told me that since we’re in the South, it was something I had to try at least once. It was decadent and delicious. I hardly touched my salad because I was nibbling away on pickles and stealing some of Geof’s cheesy grits (they were the best I ever had – savory and smoky). We also had to order one of their cocktails just to get a fun cowboy boot glass to take home. After checking out the rest of the restaurant, our friends Chad and Amy picked us up to take us to a more hipster part of town for some coffee at The Frothy Monkey. It’s a great place to people watch and we even spotted Will Anderson (lead singer from Parachute) there.


I heart Nashville!


Fried pickles


Frothy Monkey

The four of us chatted the afternoon away. Being apart from these two makes no difference at all as we always seem to pick up right where we left off. From The Frothy Monkey, we headed to Centennial Park so that we could see the Parthenon. I may never get to Greece, but this was the next best thing as it’s a full-scale replica of the original.


Parthenon in Centennial Park

Later that evening, Geof and I went downtown to have dinner at Big River Grille & Brewing Works. Geof got shrimp and grits, while I went with mac ‘n cheese with chicken. After dinner, we headed out on Broadway to meet some of our friends from NYC (Kristin & Emily) & Boston (Jessica) at Wild Bill’s. The bar is a historic landmark with the basement being part of the Underground Railroad. They have an impressive wine bar on the 2nd floor and the main level is a Cajun café. We stayed in the café/bar area where they were getting karaoke started for the evening. Geof decided he wanted to perform “Humpty Dance” for all of us. It was absolutely hysterical and awesome at the same time.


Broadway at night!


Me on Broadway


Me with Kristin, Jess and Emily

We parted ways with the ladies and headed over to Broadway Brewhouse & Mojo Grill to meet-up with Chad and Amy. We enjoyed a brew or two and made our way back to Wild Bill’s. The guys running karaoke asked Geof to do another performance of “Humpty Dance” and he obliged. What a perfect way to end our first day in Nashville!


Amy and I


Geof with his karaoke buddy, Andy


Out with one of our favorite couples!

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Gwen said...

I would have ordered several cocktails just to have a collection of the boots. LOL! I love me some fried pickles!!! And your rosette necklace is fabulous!! Looks like you had a great time! I can't wait to see more of the recaps. :)

MCW said...

You really need to tape and post your hubby doing the Humpty Dance!

Cara said...

Looks like you had a great time! Love Nashville!

Jen said...

Nashville is such a fun city! Some places and people to check out....

Mason Douglas and Cory Batten...look and see if either one will be at the Bluebird Cafe...they're so much fun! Tell Mason I said hi :)

Arington Winery - Brooks from Brooks and Dunn winery. Take your own snacks, beautiful scenery.

And if you have time, take the hour drive down to Lynchburg and go to the Jack Daniel's tour....AMAZING!

And a must....PANCAKE PANTRY! Yum...sweet potato pancakes are to die for!

Enjoy your trip. There is so much to do there! Now, I wanna move back! lol

Lindsey said...

So fun!!! Love the boot drink and fried pickles are my fave thing EVER!

C said...

I really want to try fried pickles! Looks like a ton of fun and I got some great ideas for my trip!

Anonymous said...

You had me at cowboy boot glass!

Looks like y'all had a great time!

Amy said...

Love the post! <3 The Frothy Monkey was delicious once again and we had a great time (as usual) hanging with all y'all! ;)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

YAY the trip is off to a great start! Can't wait to read more! I had no idea there was a Parthenon! I never saw that, darn. But at least I get to live vicariously through you :)

You always look so pretty in your pics!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I would visit there for the fried pickles alone. Ha!

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Those fried pickles look amazing! I prefer the dill chips over the spears, for sure. Gosh, I'm not sure if I've visited Nashville...I think I need to add it to my list!

Meghan said...

It sounds like a perfect day! I am really excited to head to Nashville next month, so I'll have to check out some of these places. I've never had fried pickles but they sound amazing!

Anonymous said...

That is one place I really want to go! Btw, what do you use to load your pictures. Do you use blogger or something like photobucket?

Kathie said...

how fun!!!

The Humpty Dance-hahahahha! I love that song, it's so fun. :-)

Unknown said...

How did you like the Wildhorse? I saw your yummy pickles!

I nominate you for a blog award! :)

http://sunnidaegregory.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-award.html