Thursday, January 12, 2012

Nashville – Day 2

We got up, grabbed a quick breakfast and headed over to the Opryland Hotel. I heard some positive things about the property and gardens, so we decided to check it out. It was overwhelmingly big and it turns out that it’s the largest non-gambling hotel in the world. We decided to take a Riverboat Tour of the indoor gardens that gave us a great view of all the different plants, flowers and waterfalls. Our guide was great and informed us that when the Delta River was built, the hotel requested water samples from all over the world and from every river in the United States. A “mixing of the waters” ceremony was held when the river opened in 1996.


Waterfall in The Cascades Atrium


One acre skylight in the Conservatory


View from the Riverboat in Delta Island


Christmas may be over, but this is too pretty not to share

From the Opryland Hotel, we headed over to the Grand Ole Opry House to see a little piece of history. I’ve never been a big fan of country music, but the Opry was a must-visit. To see the spot where so many country superstars have performed is impressive. I also can’t believe the venue was partially underwater less than two years ago. You would never know it by the looks of things now.


Us outside the Grand Ole Opry House


I don't think you're supposed to stand up there...whoops!

We headed back downtown for dinner and settled on Sole Mio for some Italian. After dinner, we got ready for the night and went to 12th & Porter to meet-up with Chad & Amy for the SafetySuit CD Release Party. I couldn’t have been more excited to see SafetySuit there since it’s the venue where they were originally signed.


12th & Porter


Us with Chad & Amy ready for the show


The opening acts consisted of Chasing Change and Throwing Gravity. The bands did a great job warming us up for the main event. SafetySuit took the stage and about two songs into their set, it was obvious that something was wrong. Doug (lead singer) wasn’t playing his guitar and just didn’t look well.

Ultimately, he had been battling a stomach virus all day and it took everything in him to come out and perform the 5 songs he was able to make it through. He even tried to give it another go while he used the mic stand to hold him up. He apologized profusely and acknowledged that so many people had come from all over for this event and it’s not his style to cancel a show. You could see the emotion all over his face as he appeared to be even more disappointed than the fans. Personally I can’t imagine making it to the mailbox with a stomach virus, so to see him push through tells me everything I need to know about what kind of band SafetySuit is (not that I didn’t already know).


Doug

The drummer, Tate came on the mic and said they were going to try something different. The rest of the show turned into a sing-along with members from the opening bands coming out to lead the crowd. This speaks volumes about the kind of fans SafetySuit has. While most people would have left after hearing Doug was done for the night, everyone did the exact opposite and showed their allegiance by singing and celebrating what the night was all about: SafetySuit and their new album, These Times. It was bittersweet and I’m glad I was there to be a part of it.


Us with Tate, J and Dave from SafetySuit

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stayed in the Opryland Hotel and it is AMAZING! We stayed during Christmas time too and the decorations were stunning.

Gwen said...

That's sad that he was sick but I bet you all got to attend the best concert ever. :D

I love the photo of Geof with the giant guitar and I would have stood up there even if it wasn't allowed. You can't miss those amazing photo ops.

The waterfalls are gorgeous!!! And I'm still in love with your bag.

XOXO

C said...

I love that you got pictures with your favorite band! I’d say the trip was successful! I love the story of the Delta River.

Megan said...

We recently went to the Gaylord Texan this past Christmas and I kept saying over and over I thought the one in Nashville was larger. I guess I was right!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

So cool! We only went to the Opryland after I was picked up from the airport at night. My friend sweet talked valet to let us park for free to run in quickly. Needless to say we were literally running through the place lol :)

And YAY I got to stand on stage at The Grand Ole Opry. Can't believe we have to give back out backstage passes though :(

SO cool that you went there for SafteySuit. Sounds like Doug is a pretty amazing guy. I can't even imagine performing while sick!

Glad it was a good time!

Kathie said...

Josh and I will have to reconsider going to Tennessee now for vacation! We just couldn't think of much to do and we're not country music fans....

poor Doug! what a trooper though for trying despite being so sick.

erica said...

What a beautiful place to visit! Looks like you are having a fabulous time!! xo

Darya said...

hey i just LOVE your blog i have one too check it out its justinbieberscrazyfans.blogspot.com and please leave a comment i have none:( but i am sooooo sorry that your dog passed away and yes i think that celeb is sooo hot so ya thanks:)

Unknown said...

why Nashville is so beautiful???? :)
Great data for Codes Chiropractic

Zanjiieh said...

I wont never get tired of coming back here..
Great data for Garage Doors Fair Oaks CA

Unknown said...

yeah! rock and roll it's so good to spend off day get together in gig and spend time to your friends.
Click here for Best Boats Aluminum site info

Unknown said...

good place for unwind to all stress in work!
Click here for Austin Diesel Repairs service

Stephane Palovick said...

i love gigs it makes me out of my shoe! Thanks for sharing!
Click here for Alaska Fishing Guide website